Practical example and current challenges
- The transport sector is facing major social challenges: traffic growth, demographic change, ensuring affordable mobility, e-ticketing for all areas of use, increasing requirements for energy efficiency and the reduction of CO2 emissions.
- The focus of this use case is on digitisation along the travel chain in (local) public transport (ÖPV/ÖPNV) by linking cashless payment systems and digital governmental or official processes. Modern digital communication and system solutions are used to ensure the safety of data and processes.
- Digitalization and broadband infrastructure in public transport lead to a far-reaching transformation in the mobility sector, creating new ways of accessing user-generated data. The aim is to provide all users with individual offers or data queries through digital technologies for information, planning, use and control of mobility, means of transport, transport infrastructures including traffic flows.
- The Qit data system, the Qit e-ticketing and the optoelectronic Qit identification and storage solution with high data storage capacity and system security allows for a highly simplified handling of complex processes (e.g. electronic timetable information, booking procedures, cashless payment, person identification and person authentication or check-in processes for aviation) and lower access barriers to travel (ÖPNV/ÖPV). As a result, mobility, customer service and the attractiveness of (local) public transport are increased throughout the EU without compromising IT security. At the same time, the integrated, predictive maintenance system makes travel operations more punctual and reliable.
- Other challenges include protecting sensitive data and identification features from unauthorized access and cyber-attacks.
What added value does the "GAIA-X project" offer?
- GAIA-X enables upstream person mapping with person authentication and authentication for secure data traffic and promotes protection against cyber-attacks.
- GAIA-X provides the necessary common infrastructure and enables the integration and migration of data. In this way GAIA-X promotes the digitization of processes for intelligent mobility for aviation and (local) public transport.
- By using GAIA-X and optimizing and guaranteeing failure-free operating procedures in passenger transport, travel processes are made more economical, customer-friendly and environmentally friendly.
Use Case Team
- Günther Braun – Digital IT Solutions Mittelhessen GmbH