Practical example and current challenges
- The Qit control system has been developed for the secure use of sovereign control procedures for authentication of persons in the field of daily life, border controls and residence permits. Qit authentication is performed via on-site verification with the person, i.e. by matching biometric vein characteristics, papillaries (grooves of the skin) or morphing data and corresponding reference data inscribed on the Qit template. The special feature of the Qit system are the ID cards on which the reference data is stored and hardware encrypted. This is made possible by a storage medium made of photo addressable materials.
- In order to be used for EU-wide high-security tasks, it is a must to provide adequate protection against forgery. Furthermore, controlling personnel may only have access to the information intended for them when reading the card. For security and data protection reasons, data consolidation through data verification with the Qit security certificate, will only be possible via the sovereign Qit data verification management.
- The fight against illegal activities plays a special role, i.e. in entry, immigration with residence permits or the shadow economy. For claims of subsequent payment of social security contributions to the client in the case of the shadow economy, the Qit control system was developed for EU-wide use, which includes the special requirements of identity checks including boarder control with residence permit.
- In addition, the Qit system lays the foundation for a multifunctional card, which, i.e. controls access to the various security areas of a company. A combined ID system using RFID technology grants access to the company, while access to the high-security area requires authentication by comparing biometric features and holographically stored reference data. Other possible applications include use for payment solutions, the social security card, the health card or the job card.
What added value does the "GAIA-X project" offer?
- GAIA-X offers secure storage of extensive personal data and enables secure reconciliation for authentication of ID card data. In addition to biometric features, GAIA-X can store extensive alphanumeric data on individuals. This extension is the basis for a precise comparison between person and reference data using multiple biometric data and increases the quality of the security system. At the same time, this approach takes ethnic or religious aspects into account, as the verification of the person can be based on the iris or face.
- Potential users of the GAIA-X Qit infrastructure are users of Qit people screening systems, Qit ID systems or Qit passports. Due to its multifunctionality, the Qit system is suitable for every sovereign control procedure and leads to a 60% reduction of the control effort through automation and increased security standards.
- In addition, GAIA-X and the sovereign Qit database area increase the security of the EU in national and international tasks of personal authentication and residence permits. Via GAIA-X, control officers have access to personal data. In this way, personal checks can be carried out more efficiently and effectively. This has a high deterrent effect and accelerates administrative processes in the long term.
Use Case Team
- Günther Braun – Digital IT Solutions Mittelhessen GmbH