Practical example and current challenges
- On the one hand, the share of renewable energies and decentralised energy plants is continu-ously increasing in the energy supply systems; on the other hand, controllable users and energy storage systems are increasingly being integrated into the electricity and gas grids, and the link between the energy and mobility sectors is being promoted.
- There is a need to dynamically link plants and fleets of electric vehicles with data and algorithms. This shall realise applications such as proof of origin of (green, blue, grey) electricity, forecasting models, commercial aggregation of balancing pools or Green EV (Electric Vehicle) Charging. Fur-ther applications are, for example, the grid-serving operation of controllable consumers and generators as well as the development of new business and service models within the individual plants.
- The cyber-physical value chains created by decentralised market players, technical conditions in the grid and local market behaviour require secure and agile cloud edge infrastructures. They can no longer be modelled by connecting a few central, static systems in the data centres of the energy suppliers.
- On the basis of such a cloud edge infrastructure, use cases such as the aggregation of decentral-ised energy plants for the grid-serving operation of an energy system, the certification and doc-umentation of operating conditions or the automated verification of compliance with regulatory requirements can be demonstrated.
- This allows energy management processes to be designed more efficiently and more securely, as well as increasing the reliability of the grids and unlocking unused flexibility potential in the grid.
What added value does the "GAIA-X project" offer?
- GAIA-X is the basis for implementing the EU's Full Disclosure Policy for greenhouse gas emissions across sectors and for trading Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) and CO2 certificates across Europe as well as for verifying their authenticity and their proof of origin.
- GAIA-X provides efficient, verified and secure tools for the coupling of different industrial sectors to leverage physical and financial optimisation potentials and to integrate green energy guaran-tees of origin into the circular economy.
- GAIA-X enables covering the national and European value chains by European infrastructure and service providers through the provision of federation services.
- GAIA-X sets standards for implementation patterns (recurring infrastructure patterns across domains), increases the end-to-end security of cyber-physical applications and creates govern-ance recommendations for a cloud edge public key infrastructure (PKI). This is an infrastructure that provides services for the secure exchange of data.
- Further added values of GAIA-X lie in the solution of the root-of-trust problem (anchoring of the company identifiers in the Federal Register), the development of a complete ecosystem as well as the support of tech start-ups in order to achieve initial scaling.
Use Case Team
- Dr. Carsten Stöcker – Spherity GmbH
- Dr. Susanne Guth-Orlowski – Spherity GmbH
- Dr. Michael Rüther – Spherity GmbH
- Monika Sturm – Siemens
- Fabian Kraft – Siemens
- Benjamin Löser – Siemens