Practical example and current challenges
- The manufacturer of an automation component would like to access the operational data pertaining to one of their products, which is installed in a machine operated by a third company. Collecting data on the machine condition on a permanent basis supports the manufacturer in optimising the safety and efficiency of both their component and the entire machine.
- This very simple constellation occurs frequently in industrial business relations. It does however, entail a number of questions e.g. Who is the owner of the component manufacturer’s data and who is entitled to access it for what purpose? How can data be monetised? Is the data available in a standardised format?
Issues of this nature are currently being resolved bilaterally along a defined value chain. However, the data of interest to the manufacturer is not available in aggregated form across various operators.
This renders it impossible to scale up across value-creation networks.
- For the component manufacturer, the machine manufacturer, and the operators to be able to collaborate on condition monitoring (i.e. the continuous aggregation, analysis and presentation of operational and condition data by means of sensors), they need a trusted data sharing infrastructure, shared rules on cross-company authentication as well as access control.
What added value does the "GAIA-X project" offer?
- GAIA-X creates an interconnected, provider-neutral data infrastructure that enables secure data storage (data at rest), sovereign data exchange as well as the possibility to use data and services collaboratively. autonomous data sharing and for the collaborative use of data and services. Each company decides for itself where its data is stored, by whom and for what purpose it may be processed. The privacy classification and use restrictions desired by the data producer must be guaranteed. One potential way of categorising data in this way could be: public, private, semi-public.
- The project has the potential to lay the basis for a marketplace for monetising operational data within industrial value networks. At the same time, it can provide incentives for stakeholers to share data.
Use Case Team
- Michael Jochem – Bosch and Plattform Industrie 4.0